or drag this pin anywhere on the map
The bridge of spies
Glienicke Bridge spans the Havel River to connect the cities of Potsdam and Berlin. It was completed in 1907 and more recently became famous after WWII as the primary place the Soviet Union and the United States exchanged political prisoners. This is how the bridge got the name “Bridge of Spies”.
This bridge had an unusual history due to its location. It was one of the only places where the Soviets and Americans actually could meet. Situated on the actual border between East and West Germany, rather than in Berlin, the bridge saw many moments in Cold War history.
The area around the bridge is excellent for sightseeing by car or bike too, so a side trip here is a great getaway from the central city.