or drag this pin anywhere on the map
Not just another historical site
St. Mary’s Cathedral has been in existence since 1814, when it was built by Bishop Cameron, designed by James Gillespie Graham. The original idea for the cathedral, as well as the selection of the location was Bishop Hay.
He chose the area in hopes that it would protect the church from potential mobs. Originally, St. Mary’s Cathedral was just a rectangular building with a Gothic look to it. Over the years, it was drastically changed, with many additions by various people. Land was purchased around the building to make room for the additions.
St. Mary's Cathedral
61-63 York Pl, Edinburgh
Phone: 44 131 556 0027
Open Hours: 10 am-8pm