or drag this pin anywhere on the map
Just beneath the river
Built between 1907 and 1911, the Old Elb Tunnel links the St. Pauli district with the Island of Steinwerder. This 426 meter long tunnel runs below the river, a decorative remnant of a time long since past in Hamburg.
The dome-shaped entrance hall on the north side of the tunnel was built by Ludwig Raabe and Otto Wöhlecke. The march of time, and increase in traffic have nearly made the tunnel obsolete, but pedestrians still make use of it frequently. Visitors will find the highly decorative walls of the tunnel interesting.