or drag this pin anywhere on the map
A grandiose monastery complex
Gian Galeazzo Visconti founded Certosa di Pavia in 1396, creating a massive family mausoleum. Completed in the mid 16th century, it later became one of the great monuments of the Lombard Renaissance. The suppression of the Carthusian order saw the massive monastery complex abandoned in 1782.
Visitors to this wonderful site today will marvel at the exuberance of Certosa di Pavia’s architecture and grandeur. Unfortunately, touring the inside requires permission, but just the exterior facade is well worth admiring. This is truly one of the most striking building complexes in Milan.
Certosa di Pavia
Via Del Monumento, 4,Certosa di Pavia , Milan
Phone: 0382 925613
Open Hours: Not open except by permission