or drag this pin anywhere on the map
Jesuit Church of New Jesus
In 1470, Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo (New Jesus) was originally built as a palace for Prince Roberto Sanseverino of Salerno. Between 1584 and 1601, the Jesuits transformed the palace into Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo. Its unusual ashlar facade, uncommon for a Baroque church, is the original palace façade. A Baroque entrance was constructed to match an elaborately Baroque decorated church.
Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo features frescoes, stucco and marble decorations dating back to the 16th century and include some of the area’s best artists up to the 19th century. Examples include the Expulsion of Eliodorus from the Temple, a fresco by Francesco Solimena as well as Cosimo Fanzago’s statues of Jeremiah and David.
Outside of Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo, you will be fascinated by the Guglia dell'Immacolata, a tall pile of reliefs and statues, located on the piazza. This spire, created by Matteo Bottighero and Francesco Pagano in 1750, depicts Jesuit saints and the story of Mary and was built to celebrate a major point of the Jesuits’ teachings.
Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo
Via San Sebastiano, 48 Napoli, Naples
Phone: 081 557 8111
Open Hours: Mon-Sat 7am-12.45pm and 4.15pm-7.30pm; Sun 7am-1.30pm
Price: Cost money