or drag this pin anywhere on the map
Baroque church, first consecrated to St Charles Borromeus
The scene of a pivotal event in the Czech resistance movement during World War II, this Baroque 1730s church is scarred by shelling. That happened when two Czech paratroopers, trained in England, Josef Gabcík and Jan Kubi∫, were discovered hiding here by the Nazis.
Dropped into Bohemia in late 1941 to assassinate Reinhard Heydrich, Reichsprotektor of Bohemia and Moravia, they succeeded but met their end when the SS and Gestapo bombarded the church all night until the assassins took their own lives.